Sunday, August 25, 2013

Quilting the African Village and the last border on Picadilly!

I've pin basted Mom's African village quilt and have started the quilting. I think this one will be fun to quilt. I've stitched in the ditch along the red bands and now am going to stitch around all of the applique before quilting the background.
 

The first hut has been outlined and I've stitched along the frayed edge of the thatching and I'm not sure I like it. I might remove it and then quilt the thatched roof with jagged lines instead.

I've attached the last border to Picadilly to the Nines and it was the perfect finishing touch!


Here are a few more pictures of the border.


It frames the hourglass border an gives a more complete look to the quilt.


I think it enhances the hourglass blocks; now that they are "fenced in" with the striped border they glow like stained glass!


One thing I've found is that you can make a very simple quilt (not necessarily this one) appear more complex by adding an unexpected border. For example, my quilt Brick Bungalow is a very simple quilt but the border is made of stars and it is the an extra touch that makes the quilt more interesting.


We've been through a very dry spell so there isn't much happening in the garden. However today a bunch of red dragonflies arrive and I managed to take some pictures. They are beautiful creatures with an amazing life cycle!



I'll leave you with a picture of Lionel the Vegan. Everybody loves Lionel....even the sow bug on the bridge of his nose!

 
Until I post again, happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment