Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Dolls, Punks, Bowls and a draw!

I've been wracking my brain trying to remember where I put a book and today it came to me! This is it, Country Living's Country Quilts. It is lovely picture book and it was a birthday gift from my Mom and Dad.


Many of the quilts in the book caught my eye and one of them was my doll quilt that I showed you in my August 31st post. I had promised to show you the original doll quilt that was in the book. First here is my version of the quilt.

Ragamuffins 14 1/2" x 18 1/2"
 
And here is the quilt in the book. I fell in love with it and had to make my own miniature version. The blocks in my quilt are 3" square.


Comparing the original to my quilt I estimate that the original blocks are 6" square.

Close-up of original quilt in the book

Since they are set on point they would measure roughly 9 3/4" on the diagonal. The quilt is almost the width of a single bed so that would make the measurement about right. I figure the little quilt must measure about 33" by 43". The only information in the book is that this is a doll quilt and that it was made from a kit.

The work on Lazy Punk is progressing nicely. I should have all of the background quilted tomorrow.


I'm really liking the dimensionality of the "propellers" and am pretty sure that I will not quilt them. And here it is from the back.


Although I washed a sample of the backing fabric to make sure it wouldn't shrink I didn't dry the test swatch in the dryer. I would hate to do all this work and then find out that shrinkage occurred in the dryer. So this morning I quilted a test swatch, washed it in hot water and threw it in the dryer. It came out just fine! So I trimmed the swatch into a circle and gathered up the edges. I'll bind it with some leftover binding and I'll have a little fabric bowl!


Now, who wants to win some lovely fabric? Check out Lia's blog and leave a comment to be entered into a draw for a $25 gift certificate for fabric from Tactile Fabrics.  It is Lia's birthday so to enter just leave her a comment with your birthday wish. And there are lots of other ways to enter which means more chances to win!

Until I post again, happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment