Monday, July 6, 2015

Green Parrot continues to grow

Sewing, sewing, sewing! I've stitched the units that will attach to the sides of the medallion of my Green Parrot hexagon quilt. Although the units appear fussy cut they aren't. I've just taken extra care when orienting the hexagons and sewing them together. My fabrics were all cut across the width of the fabric so that the same print is repeated across the width of the strip. When I cut the individual hexagons it creates the illusion of fussy cutting without the effort.


All of the hexagon rosettes for this quilt and Birds in the Loft were made it pairs. The advantage of this is that when I lay out the rosettes to plan where each will go I only have to plan half of the quilt. When I am happy with the arrangement I write the number on the paper so that I know where it will go in the quilt.  You can see in the picture above that the red print in the upper left corner is repeated in the lower right corner.

 To illustrate here is my Birds in the Loft hexagon quilt map. I've numbered the placement of the rosettes starting in the upper left corner of the top half of the quilt. The bottom half is identical to the top half but the numbering starts in the lower right corner. I don't need to have the path attached to the rosettes - what I want to do is ensure that the placement of the rosettes is pleasing to the eye. I can add the path and start sewing the rosettes into rows at my leisure!


Now lets get back to Green Parrot. Once the side units were constructed I could attach them to the medallion and I did.


Now it is time to get serious about the borders. I plan to add three rounds of hexagons to the quilt. I'll use the darkest brown from the medallion, followed by the olive brown from the centre and finally the pale green. It will be boring basting and sewing the same fabric over and over but I think that the final result will be very effective.

That's it for today. Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

7 comments:

  1. Hmm - your vision is great. Mine sees the pale green first then the pink and then the brown. How opposite. Looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopped by to catch up on your sewing....amazing!!! Your work is G O R G E O U S!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly beautiful. I've recently started "following" you on Bloglovin' so I need to get to the beginning of this project and read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I'm enjoying seeing this quilt grow. I'm never sure how they will look when they are done so it is a surprise to my readers and me! Sorry I couldn't email you directly but you are a no reply blogger! :-(

      Delete
  4. Looking wonderful Karen, love those little flowers too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these noodles can be a little unnerving to work with, got one of my own. These are impeccible pieces and so is your machine quilting from Rewind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed with how quickly you found another home for these leftovers!!

    ReplyDelete