Saturday, January 2, 2016

Lazy Girl no more

Happy 2016 my friends! I hope you found time to do a little sewing during the holidays. I did but nowhere near as much as I needed. I continue to work on my quilt for our quilt along. Now that the holidays are over I can work more diligently and get the top put together before I launch the patterns. While I do like surprises this is going to be a full size quilt so I think it is better that you see it beforehand; this means I've got lots of sewing to do before I can start the quilt along! The holidays are over so for me it is lazy girl no more!

If you've been following my blog you may recognize this quilt. I called it Lazy Girl because I used fast and easy methods to make it, including machine applique!


I made arcs with free-form cutting and sewing methods which you can read about here.


The arcs were machine appliqued them to the background and then four of these squares were sewn together. It was easier to cut four smaller squares than to cut one large square! I made twelve of these large squares. Then it was just a matter of sewing the twelve together to make the quit top!


The quilt was heavily quilted because there was lots of open space. I quilted feathers from top to bottom (the curled feather is either at the top of bottom of the quilt) and then I filled in the background with a mishmash of quilting designs.


Here you can see how I filled in the edges of the quilt.


I gifted this quilt to someone special. Her cat Rory has claimed the quilt as his own and honestly I think that he looks pretty good on the quilt! But then ginger cats generally look quite attractive on any quilt! I just adore his chubby little fingers!


If you would like me to put together a series of links to my blog posts so that you can make your own Lazy Girl quilt let me know and I'll add it to my "to-do" list!

Until I post again, happy 2016 and happy sewing!
Karen H



25 comments:

  1. Dear Karen,
    it is a beautiful quilt, the quilting is wonderful, what a jewel.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilting, it really adds depth to your beautiful quilt. I would love the links to the posts. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody! I really enjoy doing this type of quilting because it is liberating! Sorry I couldn't send you a personal note but you are a no reply blogger. :-(

      Delete
  3. Love the quilting, it really adds depth to your beautiful quilt. I would love the links to the posts. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me, too! Me, too! - it might be the only new one I start this year. LOL - I say that this moment but I haven't seen your quilt along, so don't hold me to it, but I'll save the links for sure. Lazy Girl is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning. I also think that any short cuts should be used to make our life easier so all my quilts would be lazy girl quilts. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a wonderful quilt. I really lie looking at the quilting you choose on this quilt.

    Kathleen Mary https://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Sorry I couldn't send you a personal note but you are a no reply blogger. :-(

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful quilt! I have to admit that I avoid quilts with lots of open spaces because I never know how to quilt them. You did a lovey job of that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool Karen, I found a whole bunch of this arc in antique fabrics at a thrift store and one day, you'll see them in a quilt. Yours is perfect continued inspiration. I'm starting the Gardens of the King this weekend at my upcoming quilting retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome quilt with beautiful quilting !! Wow !
    I also love the photo with the cat !! ;)
    Happy new year Karen with lots of quilts !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exquisite quilting Karen, what a feast!
    Meant to say, have you seen Hexi Love, the emag that Julia Wood runs? Shes the Hexi Blog lady.
    She has a pattern in the mag from this month for 6 editions in the year, the pattern is called Bliss and features some lovely shaped hexis. The cuts lend themselves to fussy cutting in a slightly different way to Millie or La Pass.
    I immediately thought of you when I saw her new cutting tool to help cut slices and curves in hexis too.
    Its clever but at $20 plus postage to UK I may have to hold out lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful quilt Karen, and your quilting is amazing. Do you quilt on a sit down domestic machine? I am attempting to quilt my granddaughters quilt, and am pleased with what I have done, but it's not very fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That quilt is a beauty and I love that you appliqued the circles to the background. The kitty looks very comfy there, doesn't he.

    ReplyDelete
  13. KAren, as ever, your quilting is breath-taking. I'm secretly pleased that you are still finishing up other projects before the quilt-along, so am I! and I can't think of a name for my quilt, I may have to throw it open to my blog friends...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your quilting is amazing. What a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool! I like how you did your own thing, but still had stunning results ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these single ring quilts, and your quilting is totally gorgeous on it! Love that curling feather.

    And how about Rory? What a cutie! Great finish! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt! I would love a tutorial on how you made this when you get the time. As always your quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. very clever technique-kitty looks comfy

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely quilt and wonderfully "lazy" technique. I'd be cuddling up with your cat in all that quilty warmness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is so wonderful and fantastic quilting.
    Love the picture with your lovely cat.
    Happy sewing 2016 to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous quilt, I don't know how you could bare to give it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra - sorry I couldn't send you a personal note but you are a no reply blogger. As for giving the quilt away it went to someone special so I didn't mind (too much)!

      Delete
  22. I see your gorgeous quilt got the kitty cat stamp of approval....:)

    ReplyDelete