Thursday, May 16, 2013

Baskets and Nine Patches pattern, turtle girls, more embroidery and the next block of the month pattern!


Today the pink species tulips are blooming in the garden. They are a lovely bubble gum pink!

 

 
 
 
My first quilt pattern, Baskets and Nine Patches, is now posted under the Patterns tab. I hope you like it! It was a fun quilt to make and if you use my method of building up a stash of nine patches you’ll have a quilt in no time flat! I’ve got more nine patch quilts in the works so if there’s interest, there could be more patterns! It took a lot of time and work to make this pattern so if please let me know what you think of it. You can leave a comment or send me an email. I would love to hear from you! Also I would ask that if you share this pattern or make this quilt that you please give me credit.

 
I made these little painted turtle girls a few years ago. They are made of heavy muslin that I painted. Their shells are papier mache and I painted them to resemble a real turtle shell that I bought at a garage sale many years ago. They are happy girls!



 
When I was getting out the turtles I came across some more of Mom’s embroidery. She made all of the little embroideries and then I did the patchwork and the hand quilting. I got to the border and lost interest in the quilting. I think I’ll machine quilt some lovely feathers in the border instead. I’ll share some close-ups of the embroidery with you for now and will show the quilt at a later date!

Monarch butterfly and Queen Anne's Lace

Pink Lady's Slipper (a member of the orchid family that grows in Ontario Canada)

Yellow Lady's Slipper (another Ontario orchid)
 
This weekend I’ll post the next Block of the Month pattern. It is a simple block that makes use of scraps you have on hand. My inspiration was a Cornelius Krieghoff painting. Be sure to come visit my blog and check out the block pattern! Again, I would love to hear what you think!

Until I post again, happy sewing!

6 comments:

  1. Ha, ha! The turtle girls! The ideas you have never cease to amaze me ;)
    And the butterflies are gorgeous. Did I ever mention I love butterflies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lia! It can be a very busy place in my brain - there are all sorts of ideas percolating! I too love butterflies & bees and so does my Mom. She says that you need both to have a successful garden!

      Delete
  2. Does Anne make her own designs???Beautiful colours and just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne does make her own designs. Many of the flowers are from her garden. Some of the butterflies are from her imagination! I just love them all!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing


    Abdul Wahab
    Well Done Badges co
    http://www.welldonebadges.com/

    ReplyDelete