I've used a combination of different threads in order to achieve the look I want. Where I want only texture I've used monofilament. If you use it be sure to loosen the top tension. This means adjusting the "dial" to a lower number. The actual number will vary from machine to machine but my machine seems to be happiest at about 2.0.
The individual blocks have a 1" border and then a 2" border. I decided to quilt little plumes in the 1" border and used cotton thread to match the fabric.
I think I'll quilt a grid of some sort in the 2" borders. And then I have to decide on the blocks themselves (one will have Barbara's initials and the year) and then last bit of the border. I like little surprises in quilts so I've decided I'm going to hide one in Barbara's quilt. I can't tell you what it is right now because she follows my blog but I will show you soon!
I thought I would leave you will a few pictures of some hexagons and stars. I'm itching to get basck to working on this quilt but have three quilts that must be quilted before I go back to this one.
Until I post again, happy sewing!