Thursday, January 9, 2014

An old quilt revisited and some Soupcon blocks

Lori over at Humble Quilts is working a wool applique quilt. I recognized the pattern. Here are some of her lovely blocks!


I made this  very quilt top many years ago (maybe 15 years or more). When it was done I just folded it up and put it away. I don't think I was overly crazy about it and since that time my tastes have changed.I'm not so happy with half square triangle sashings or the border but I think I might still like many of the blocks. Here you can see I have a very thin gold border with some wonky triangles that were appliqued in various areas of the border. I like the block just fine but not the heavy border.


You can see more of the half square triangles bordering the pineapple. The pineapple block is okay.


This block I'm not too crazy about. I find it a little bland. It would need so revising if I were to save it.


I quite like the morning glories below. They would make a great center for a medallion quilt. I could embellish with a variety of insects and then just start adding borders.


Here you can see more of the inset triangles in the border and the sashing with half square triangles.


I don't mind this next block either and again it might make a good starting point for a medallion quilt but I would have to add some zip to the hearts which are a little on the snoresville side of quilt blocks!


So what's a girl to do? The little tool at the bottom of the picture above is a hint! I might just take the quilt apart and either sew them together with neutral sashings OR take them apart and make some medallion quilts. But not right now - I'll put that one on my "to do" list! One thing is for sure, the seam ripper that my brother made for me for Christmas would get a good workout! I had told him he should make these seam rippers and sell them and although he doesn't have an Etsy shop I don't see why he couldn't set one up and sell them! I think maybe he has been convinced because he went out and got the hardware needed to make a few more seam rippers. Next month at our Guild meeting we can bring in goods to swap or sell so maybe if he makes a few I'll take them in and see if there's any interest!



And now back to Soupcon QAL! There are a few more hexagon starts posted so I thought I would share them with you! This is Carrie's block. It reminds me of Dutch Delft pottery. It is so delicate. I wonder if she is going to do a monochromatic quilt. You can see the gorgeous fabric she started with here.


Clare had already made one block. She is now looking at fabric in an entirely new way and this lead to a second modified hexagon block! I love this one and I particularly love the fussy cut fabric in the center. I have this very same fabric and have been using it in my Love Entwined quilt.


Clare also tried out the block with a white center and she tells me that she likes this one better. What do you think? It can be hard to tell from a picture because blocks always look different in person but I think my preference is the orange center.  One of the FLICKR group members said that this block is smoldering and I agree!

Well that's it for me today! Until I post again, happy sewing!

17 comments:

  1. I would like to buy on of your brothers seam rippers so if you do bring some to the next guild meeting please reserve one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks, I am so looking forward to seeing the quilts develop.
    Your appliqué is incredibly neat, I have never tried it. I have a feeling there might be some coming my way LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see the quilts develop too!

      As far as my applique goes I've learned that it is best to just take your time and concentrate on what you are working on! Matching thread helps too!

      Delete
  3. Your quilt is definately worth saving-especially those large blocks-I wanting to get started on my wool applique on cotton this year somethime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never worked with wool for applique work. It definitely has a unique look, one that I like very much! I love the whimsical pieces made by Sue Spargo!

      Delete
  4. I like those blocks and especially that thin gold border and flags. The Soupcon blocks are wonderful, myself I like the one with the orange center - the other looks like an eye to me, but still great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I like the border and sometimes I'm not so sure. I think what I like the least is the half square triangle connecting pieces.

      I love what people are doing with Soupcon and I especially like the one with the orange center! I have that fabric and lately it ha become my favourite to use for embellishing!

      Delete
  5. You definitely can put me on the list for a seam ripper. I would love to purchase one. Your quilt sure does look interesting. I thin I would just quilt it and and ire what you like about it and stand back and admire how you have progressed beyond the time you made it. Lol. Bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bunny - I'll get the price from my brother and will be in touch. As far as the quilt goes I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it but I do have one or two other projects that need attention (LE for example) so I've got time to think about what I'll do with the applique quilt.

      Delete
  6. your quilt really does look great. it is funny how our taste change through the years of quilting. It is going to be a lot of work taking it apart but using one of the beautiful seam rippers will help it go faster. Your brother does a great job. Thanks for sharing my star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tastes do change over the years. I remember the days of huge shoulder pads (I wore them) and I shudder to think how ridiculous they would look today!
      I was happy to share your star - it is so pretty!

      Delete
  7. I would love to buy one of your brother's seam rippers! I can't even imagine taking apart a quilt like that. When I haven't liked something I made I usually just hide it away. I never think of reworking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I did - hide it away. But when I saw the version by Lori (of Humble Quilts) it reminded me of my quilt top and so I pulled it out. I normally wouldn't rework it but there are several blocks that I quilt like and lately I've been intrigued by medallion quilts so some of the blocks in my old quilt top would make a good starting point!

      Delete
  8. Taking that old quilt top apart makes perfect sense to me -- I've been repurposing unfinished quilt bits for years and what a boost it has been to my creative confidence -- go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - more and more it is making sense to me so I see time spent with a seam ripper in my future!

      Delete
  9. Finally here to see your flowers quilt! I like the blocks and the inner sashing, but agree the outside seems a bit heavy. I really do like it a lot!!

    ReplyDelete