Thursday, July 31, 2014

81 is BIG!

Today I''ll update you on 81 The Giant Monstrosity and I'll share a helpful tip! This was 81 before the quilting. The diamond border is quilted and I just finished the centre panel which is made up of 81 stars and hexagon rosettes.


The centre panel  measures roughly 40" square. This is what it looks like from the front. The photo doesn't do it justice. One thing I can say is when there is so much quilting and so many different designs, mistakes tend to disappear!


The quilt is BIG! While the quilting goes quickly there is so much of it to do. This is what it looks like from the back. Love it!


Here's a close-up of some of the stars and hexagons in the centre panel.


I spent hours quilting the border so I can trim the quilt and bind it. I've got one side to go! Once it is bound I'll go back and finish the quilting the inner dark stripe border and the outer border. There is still a lot to do so I think there will be at least another week of quilting. I'm taking frequent breaks and doing lots of stretching to keep my neck, back and shoulders happy and healthy! Once I've quilted enough of the border I can bind the quilt and I'll go back and quilt the inner border after it is bound.


There is a ton of thread in this quilt. I think I've already gone through at least a dozen bobbins of Superior's The Bottom Line. On top I am using Gutermann 50wt cotton thread and am on my second 800m spool! Considering how much thread I've used and the density of the quilting, 81 is surprisingly soft. There is no stiffness to it at all!

I thought before I sign off for the day I would share one of my HELPFUL TIPS with you. Sometimes I run out of thread, have a mistake I want to fix or what to know where to start sewing when I come back after a break. To make it easy to find those spots I use two safety pins. One is pinned in the spot I want to mark and the second goes through the pin. When I pick up my quilt and give it a shake the pins jingle making it easy to find the place(s) I'm looking for!


That's it for now. Until I post again, happy sewing and don't forget to stretch!
Karen H

20 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks amazing. I really want to branch out into more filler designs like this but I am really intimidated. I guess I need to study that photo of the back of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good tip with the safety pins, especially on such a complex quilt. Otherwise, words fail me, it's going to be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good!! I use a ribbon tied to a safety pin to mark problems or stopping points. In fact, I also used pins to mark the blocks I had left to outline stitch the other day. I spray baste so it was the best visual aid I could think of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same with my safety pins. Sometimes I used them also to mark a spot to unstitch and correct later on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an amazing quilt! Thanks for all the photos of the back to really see the quilting. love the butterflies scattered throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think this could be your best yet. Looks fabulous. I also use that little pin trick for marking my spot, works a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness this is totally amazing your quilting is top notch. I need to practice more. But someone has me making Hexagons LOL.
    This one is a ribbon winner. Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOWEE!!! Karen it is glorious! The quilting makes the hexies pop! Congrats on a wonderful quilt. Good tip too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing. You have the patience of Job for sure!! What kind of machine do you quilt on?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning! Your quilt is going to be so stunning when you finish...already it is fabulous...I am so glad that I found your blog months ago as I find such inspiration here...thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat idea. Thanks! That quilt looks stunning both in the front and the back. I have a question about the border. How do you do those straight line. Do you go down and then travel in the seam part that won't show and then go up? I really like how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a masterpiece quilt!! Thank you for the handy tip, it's so clever to add the second pin to create a jingle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a very wonderful quilt. Beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this might be my favorite of your quilts. They are all so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your quilt is beautiful! I have started a copy of the original quilt myself. I am using 1/2 inch hexagons, what size did you use? This is a really beautiful quilt. Congratulations on your quilt and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie - you are a no reply blogger so I couldn't email you. I used 3/4" hexagons hence the big quilt. 1/2" hexagons would have resulted in a more manageable size of quilt. In addition to being big 81 is very heavy!

      Delete
  16. I'm completely and absolutely blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that's gorgeous and I love your idea with the safety pins

    ReplyDelete