Friday, February 27, 2015

The New Hexagon Millefiori QAL - the beginning of Rosette 2

I am so far behind in this month's The New Hexagon Millefiori Quilt Along by Katja Marek but there was a good reason! I couldn't make my mind up about fabric choices and the colour in particular. I've been back and forth about working with a strong colour emphasis versus making each rosette different. This was my version of Rosette #1. It is a big piece and measures roughly 36" across!

My Rosette #1 in The New Hexagon Millefiori QAL

The second pattern in the QAL was released at the beginning of February but I haven't been able to decide what to do. Time is passing and the next Rosette will be available soon so I have to get going. I just started searching for a fabric that would work well for the hexagon in the middle of Rosette #2. Going through my stash I came across this fabric and decided to use it as the jumping off point for my Rosette #2.

I selected a little wren for the centre hexagon and framed her with the grey-blue fabric with gold and olive. It was a perfect fit! The sides of this hexagon measure 3".


Now I have to pull more fabric to make the six hexagons that will surround this one! I think I want this quilt to have a warm feel so I'll be looking for fabrics with rust, caramel, toffee and crimson.

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

12 comments:

  1. You have such a way with color and I admire your fabric choices! You must like birds as it seems you feature them often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great beginning to round 2, Karen. I'm not surprised it has the little wren. Goes with the six owls you created in round 1. This could be your hexie bird quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, after all your deliberations, you make such good decisions in the end! Love the first block and looks like I will love the second block too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good Karen! I have not started number two yet. I am so behind with this moving thing! It will be a while before I can catch up. I will have to plan a retreat at the new house and not come out of the sewing room for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again birds? The fabric are looking well. Where do you buy time for 2 great projects.
    Have a nice weekend. Groet, Dientje.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wren is so sweet. What is the print? LOVE the way you cut your fabrics for the kaleidoscope effect...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the fussy cut fabric around your little wren. I'm sure you'll catch up pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stash of beautiful bird fabric is enviable. Now that you have a launching point, this one will go together pretty quickly. I'm trying to wrap a few things up before rosette 3 is released Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous block!!! Love your fabric choice too!!! And your bird fabric is so pretty....choosing Fabrice seems si easy to you...i admire you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your rosette 1 is delightful Karen, well worth waiting for the right fabrics and I adore that little wren - such a lovely centre to springboard from : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deciding on fabric choices is exactly why I haven't even started part one. I love your choices, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are certainly a master at picking out just the right fabric for your rosettes. Your #1 is beautiful and with the start of your cute little wren, I know #2 will be as well.

    ReplyDelete