When I was stitching this rosette I tried to make sure that there was a black line in the plaid running from side to side. Although it is subtle it creates the illusion of fussy cutting without the effort.
This is an old scrap in the stash. I used in for a backing on a quilt. Although you may not think so it is yet another example of a directional fabric so hexagon placement was important.
If you are wondering if this is a directional print the answer is yes it is! The little circles all run in the same direction on the fabric but also if you look closely there is a cross hatch design in the background and that is yet another clue that the print is directional. I love the colours of caramel and blue - such a classic combination!
This brown fabric was used in the centre panel so I wanted to repeat it in a pair of rosettes. Can you believe it is yet another directional print? I like the print because the little flowers seem to glow on the dark brown background!
I mentioned that I've been sewing the rosettes into rows and I've also been sewing the rows together. This is my map. I stitched the two sections on the left side of the middle band of rosettes and then I stitched the two together.
This is it! This section will eventually be attached to the centre medallion. The right side will be made with the same rosettes however those at the top of this panel will be on the bottom of the right panel. You can see in the diagram above that the rosettes are all numbered. 51 is in the upper left corner on the left side panel but it will be in the lower right corner of the right side panel.
In case you are new to my blog this is the completed centre medallion.
Today and tomorrow I hope to finish the last of the rosettes and perhaps complete the right side of the centre panel. This quilt is going to be big....much bigger than I expected so I probably should have worked with 3/4" hexagons rather than 1". Oh well, it is too late to turn back so I'll just have to live with a big quilt!
Until I post again, happy sewing!