Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Mixing the ingredients for my Easier Than Pie Quilt and a sneak peek

Thank you to everyone who has purchased my Easier Than Pie & Beyond hexagon booklets. I hope you are having fun making beautiful hexagon rosettes. I've made open donuts of twelve hexagons from two fabrics and surrounded each rosette with these rounds. This rosette is called Chubby Star and it is in Booklet 4.


So now it is time to assemble the rosetted into a quilt top and I'm pretty excited about how it is looking. The rosettes need to be joined with a path (think of the path as a sashing). I could have used whole hexagons between the rosettes but instead I decided to use diamonds and triangles. I just think that they look more elegant. I have a soft beige fabric in my stash and the print looks like a linen. That is the fabric I will use for the diamonds and triangles.

To make the diamonds I cut hexagons into diamonds which are one third of a hexagon.


To make the triangles I cut hexagons into triangles which are one sixth of a hexagon.

Each rosette will need six diamonds and two triangles. I baste a goodly amount of diamonds and triangles and then attach them to each rosette. This keeps the project portable and manageable. I will also need to add two extra diamonds and one triangle at the left side of the first rosette in each row but I do that after I've decided how to lay out the rosettes. There will also be diamonds and triangles added to the bottom edge of the bottom row. This rosette is called Ground Floor and it is in Booklet 1.


This is the first row stitched together.The path fabric is very subtle but that is the look I am going for and I think it will work just fine.


This is row 2. You can see how it will attach to row 1.


Also I am working on my 2016 QAL. I still haven't come up with a name for it but I am SUPER excited about how it is looking. I've remade one block and have two more to make for the outer border. Then it is filler bits and I can sew it all together. I think it is going to be a stunner of a quilt! Want a sneak peek? Well here it is! This little guy will be in the centre block. He is appliqued but if applique isn't your thing then a lovely large fussy cut print will make a great substitute. My plan is to show you the entire quilt top put together before we start the QAL so that you know what you are getting into.



I'm linking up with Val's Quilting Studio where the Tuesday's Archives theme is butterflies! Pop on over if you have time and see what other bloggers are sharing.

Time for me to do some more sewing. Stay tuned for more updates on my Easier Than Pie & Beyond quilt top. Until I post again, happy sewing!

Karen H

13 comments:

  1. good morning oh I love the bird especially-too sweet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! I love the sneak peak. I'm going to do this QAL and I've decided as I do it, I'm going to work on last year's also, so I"ll get both of them done. Your Chubby Star quilt (my name for it) is coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking great Karen. I hope to do the QAL this year - so looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Karen,
    patiently waiting for the QAL, so exciting.
    Love your hexie borders.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that bird, the fabric you picked for his face is just perfect! Your hexie quilt is really wonderful with the pops of color and design in the centers, I am still thinking on making a project with just the repeating mariner's star design one, tempting, very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh I'm up for some applique, you know me! I am doing well with my other quilt the one you designed for me. I want it finished before this years QAL. It is helping me to contain my excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Easier Than Pie is coming along beautifully. I love the effect that the two fabrics you chose to surround the stars give all the blocks an almost sparky effect, and yet such a peaceful calming effect as well. I am so excited to see what you are up to with the QAL that you are planning. I love applique, and the peek at your bird is so enticing!! He is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little appliqued bird looks adorable. I am looking forward to seeing your QAL! They are always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very....very intrigued by your 2016 QAL block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, It looks great. I like them all the donuts. Groetjes, Dientje

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, you are so funny! Its a great idea to have the finished quilt along all complete. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am enjoying these lessons in hexagons. I could use improving my skill level. Love the bird too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is so beautiful as always. I also changed my way to follow your blog. After years of receiving it on my blog, it stopped showing up there. And Bloglovin also is not delivering it. I don't know what changed so now I am trying feedburn.

    ReplyDelete