I've got three more blocks from my next QAL design, The Empire Quilt to share with you today. I've started writing the pattern and once it is done will have to have it scanned commercially so that the patterns are to size. Unfortunately my HP scanner reduces the size of documents and that's no good! I've found a place where I can have them scanned at a more reasonable price. I know this is taking longer than expected but I want to make sure my measurements are accurate and that you see the finished quilt top before I start posting the instructions.
This first block makes good use of stripes/directional prints and some fussy cutting. Stripes create so much visual interest and I just can't resist using them!
This is a fun block. While most of my fabric choices have been older style prints I've combined some modern prints in this one and they work. The dark brown in the border is a Brandon Mably print. I figured that if it didn't work out the basted hexagons would go in the box of leftovers and eventually be used in another project. Fortunately for me they did work!
I had mentioned that I was searching for a blue fabric I have in my stash. I eventually found it and used it in the rosette in the lower left corner. I must have about a zillion blues in my stash but I had my heart set on this one. I also had a couple of small scraps of Japanese fabric with owls so I fussy cut them for the centres of the rosettes at the bottom.
So far you've seen eight hexagon blocks that will form part of the border. There are four more to go and they will be quite different from the other eight. If like me you have leftover hexagons this will be the place to use them!
Until I post again, happy sewing!