Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A busy day of sewing

My friend Babs is making a quilt for a family friend who is a teenager and I offered to help her out. Yesterday we spent the day putting the blocks together. Our mantra is "less talking, more sewing"! We decided to make elongated churn dash blocks to showcase some attractive prints. The large rectangle in the centre is the perfect spot for them and it is a great negative space that will be available for quilting!


The blocks are primarily variations of turquoise but there are a few pops of orange to make the quilt sparkle. We managed to make all of the blocks (I think there are 25 of them) and they are now on the ironing board waiting for a good press with a little starch. I can't wait to see how they look when they are all sewn together! I think the plan is for a quilt top of just blocks with no border. I'll be sure to take pictures and share them with you!


Babs allowed me to take some pictures of the coil baskets she has made. I think they are fabulous. She has been using her scraps of batiks and I love the earthy look. The basket on the upper right has a small band of orange. She had just a little strip so she threw it in with the greens and works! If I didn't have so much to do I would be making one of these for myself!


I continue to put together my Gardens of a King blocks from Missie's pattern that I'm testing. I'm not sure which block I like better, the red or the blue! I like the subtle change of the different blues that I used.


The paprika coloured fabric in the outer ring is a leftover scrap from the backing of my quilt Good Golly Miss Mollie. I hate throwing out scraps because there's always a place that they can be used!


Right, time for one more cup of tea and then I've got some running around to do. I'm hoping that my book store has the current issue of QuiltMania in so I can pick it up. Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

8 comments:

  1. Great idea on the elongated churn dash! The two Garden of Kings blocks are spectacular, I especially love the fabrics and colors in the blue one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is perfect for a teenager! Those baskets look really effective too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blue colourways youve used. I hadnt seen churn dash elongated like that and it is rather nice, and perfect to show an interesting fabric in the centre yes.
    Oh those baskets are smashing, and obviously they look much better in multiples too lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the Gardens of a King blocks that you are doing. They are incredible!!! The teen quilt is going to be beautiful as well. Love the colours. So nice that you can spend a day with a friend doing something you love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blocks Karen - both the big and the so very tiny ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. everything is lovely but I really want to know what the yellow/gray/black hexies are for??!! Love that combo and will have to remember it for a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete