Saturday, October 25, 2014

It's Blogger's Quilt Festival Time - Cherry Blossom Quilt

Once again a huge thank you to Amy of Amy's Creative Side for organizing the Fall 2014 Blogger's Quilt Festival. You can submit nominations for two of your own quilts. It is a great way to share your work with others and to be eligible for some lovely prizes. Take a look at all of the registered quilts and then select three for Viewers' Choice category.  Nominations are open now and they close on October 31. You can start voting for your favourite quilts in all categories starting November 1. Voting closes on November 7 and the winners will be announced on November 8th!

I've entered two quilts and this is the second, Cherry Blossom. I wrote the pattern for my quilt and it is available free-of-charge under the tab Patterns by Karen H.  Cherry Blossom is entered in the Original Design Quilts categoryThe pinks and reds reminded me of cherry blossoms hence the name! 



This is a scrap quilt. Whenever I have some leftover 1 1/2" squares I use them as leaders and enders when I'm sewing. They get stitched into nine patches that finish at 3". When they are done I give them a press and store them in a box. When I decided to make Cherry Blossom I fished out all of the 3" pink nine patches from the box. When I ran out of pink I added some yellows and oranges. These would be stitched together to make larger nine patches. I also pulled 12 red nine patches along with small scraps of all sorts of colours. I used these scraps to make half square triangles that bordered the little red nine patches. 


Here you can see the two blocks in the quilt; the pink nine patches are stitched together with white squares to make larger nine patches and the red nine patches are bordered with white, half square triangles and the background fabric!


I added a nice wide border because I wanted to fill it with a feather and a stippled background.


This is such a summery quilt and it is one of my favourites. If you like it too why not make your own using my pattern! 

14 comments:

  1. I love this quilt , I have always been a nine patch fan , gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabrics and colours! Very generous of you to offer the pattern for free :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely quilt. I love making nine patches, but most of mine are all scrappy colors. I wouldn't have enough of one color family to make a quilt this beautiful. Good luck in the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utterly delightful...........heres me still hoping to ever finish one of my own quilts lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. How generous of you to write the pattern and share it for free. This quilt is beautiful. Your fabric choices are gorgeous, as is the quilting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous quilt! love the automnal colours! thanks for sharing Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another gorgeous entry! And a great idea for those tiny scraps!!!! Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a handy way of making 9 patches and having them ready to go when you want to make a quilt. The layout is beautiful. It's great that you took the time to write a pattern and offer it for free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt and quilting. Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful Karen and a true scrap quilt. I love that you have designed it yourself. It's a quilt which I suspect you have to see in person to appreciate it's true beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt Karen.
    Also the beautiful quilting.
    Good luck in the festival.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so in love with your quilt. It is a wonderful design! The colors are me too and the fact that it is scrappy really makes me love it more! Great workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Karen. I should really do 9 patches with my scraps too. Or at least 4 patches!!

    ReplyDelete