Thursday, February 25, 2016

Easier Than Pie & Beyond and The Empire Quilt

I've added the final wide cream border to my Easier Than Pie & Beyond quilt. I think it frames the blocks perfectly and will provide plenty of space for fun and interesting quilt designs. I've received a number of emails about the size of the hexagons in my Easier Than Pie & Beyond pattern books. They are 1" which sounds small but they are actually a very nice size to work with. However, if it is too small for you then simply enlarge the patterns on your printer/copier until you have the size you would like to work with. I think that 1 1/4" would be a great size and they would work up very quickly.


Where does the name of this quilt come from? I've been making these types of blocks since the 1990s and I always knew that they were deceptively easy to make. The blocks are simple rosettes/flowers made with 1" hexagons and while they look complex the designs are easy to make, easier than pie! If you can sew a straight line and do a simple whip stitch (or ladder stitch if you prefer) you can make any or all of the designs. I would love to get started quilting it however I have a trunk show next week and would like to take this with me to show so it will remain a quilt top for now.

I've also been asked questions about my 2016 Quilt Along (QAL). Rest assured it will be coming soon! I generally like to name my projects; it helps me keep my various projects straight in my mind and also it makes it easy to label pattern pieces and fabrics. I've been struggling with a name for this quilt and have finally settled on The Empire Quilt because the quilt reads as empire green. Want another sneak peek at the quilt? Today I'll share the next sets of borders that were attached to the medallion.

The triangles and diamonds were basted over regular printer paper before being pressed with a little spray starch. I could also have used freezer paper or no-melt mylar to prep the pieces. However, I had paper on hand so that's what I used. Once the pieces were prepped they were stitched to the borders and the borders were attached to the medallion. The next border is a wide border and it is going to be full of wonderful hexagon fun! It is also where I will be using the bird appliques that you've seen. Stay tune for more pictures in the days to come.

Mary Huey of Quilting Through Rose-Colored Trifocals is running a Y-seam link-up party and I'm linking up. There are all sorts of ways of doing Y seams and English paper piecing is only one of them. Pop on over to the party and see what everyone is doing!

Until I post again, happy sewing.
Karen

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations for these two finishes !
    Your quilt with hexies is sooo beautiful and yes, there is a BIG place for the quilting in the outer border. Do you quilt by hand or it will be a machine quilting ?
    The second quilt is awesome with the Bird...and the borders are perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phenomenal. There, I think I just used a new word to describe your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous quilt, Karen. The effect of the fussy cutting is amazing. Looking forward to the QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Karen,
    so wonderful to see the finished Easier than Pie top, it is a beauty. So is the mystery, just the type of design I love the most.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another cracking finish Karen, wonderfully thought out and such a professional design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work. Looking forward to the 2016 Quilt Along (QAL). Thanks for explaining the triangles and diamonds. I started a quilt by Ester Aliu and it has the diamond borders all around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the name "Empire Quilt" that you have chosen for the QAL. So regal sounding. The border on the Easier than Pie quilt really does frame the hexie rosettes so well. It is makes the narrow border POP so well too. Beautiful work Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the of your quilt along. I love how this beauty is taking shape. Wow, that's a great finish too on your Easy as Pie quilt. All the best, Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the of your quilt along. I love how this beauty is taking shape. Wow, that's a great finish too on your Easy as Pie quilt. All the best, Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly inspirational work Karen! You are such a master of detail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how the Empire Quilt is coming along. Really taking shape. It should be very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both tops are beauties. The triangles in the Empire gives it a good look. Groetjes, Dientje

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Easier than Pie quilt is so lovely, the plain frame is just right to focus the eye on to the design - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really want to see Easier than Pie in person!! Thanks for joining the first Y-Seam Warrior link-up, Karen!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another beauty! Love the joining pieces in taupe and cream that make that circular effect around the hexagons. More close ups please!

    ReplyDelete