Thursday, September 26, 2013

Orange Crush and Duck a L'Orange

Well I was absolutely shocked to learn that Orange Crush came in second in Quilting Gallery's Show and Tell. It was entirely unexpected. I entered the quilt simply because I wanted to share the quilt and my pattern with others (it is available free of charge on my blog under Patterns by Karen H). I really didn't think it would win. To those who voted for quilts, not just mine, thank you for taking the time to do so!


That being said, before I received the notice from Quilting Gallery I had already entered a quilt in this week's Show and Tell.  You can't win more than once a month so please don't vote for me but do vote for others. I'll post a link once the voting is open on Friday. The theme is flying geese quilts and my entry is another challenge quilt that I made in 2001. It is called Duck a L'Orange.


There were three fabrics and I was permitted to add five more fabrics. The first challenge fabric was a blue gold reedy fabric that was used to make the sun's rays. The second fabric was a mottled gold print that I used to make the eight half suns around the outside edge and the third and worst fabric was orange flying geese on a blue background! To say I struggled with that fabric is an understatement. I added four fabrics: the gold with gold metallic stripes in the corners, teal blue, pale blue and I fussy cut little rust circles from the fourth print. I beaded, used paints and embroidered with variegated floss and metallic threads. I drafted a circle of flying geese to surround the geese/ducks in the centre. I also drafted the New York beauty border.


Here you can see a close up of the beading, painting (slightly tinted the corners of the pale blue), embroidery and quilting.


Here you can see that I used teal paint to soften the corners on the gold with metallic gold strips. And I beaded all around the outside edge.


Fabric challenges are a great way to learn. I like them because they force me to use fabrics that are not my taste (which this makes it easier to chop them up) and I don't feel bad about experimenting with them. It is through this experimentation that I learn and grow.  If you have a chance to participate in a challenge I encourage you to do so!

I simply must finish the tote bag for the swap I've joined at Lia's Handmades.

Until I post again, happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment