Saturday, September 28, 2013

Setting Triangles for Lazy Punk and the Secret Tote Bag

I'm still hand stitching the half blocks but can get on with sewing the finished blocks into strips. So now it is on to the sashing, cornerstones and setting triangles for Lazy Punk. Unlike the original Steam Punk quilt  I've decided to use cornerstones that are a slightly different colour from the sashing. The setting triangles will be cut from the Alexander Henry skeleton fabric (the recipient of the quilt mentioned that she liked the fabric when she saw it in an earlier post and she wants it in the quilt). The print on the far right will be used for the cornerstones and the solid dishwater white fabric behind is the sashing fabric.


Here are the blocks on the design wall; I've already starting attaching the sashing.


 The setting triangles that will fill in the sides and corners of the quilt are cut from squares that are larger than the finished quilt block. For the side setting triangles each square will yield four side setting triangles because the square is cut on the diagonal twice. The squares that are cut for the corner setting triangles will yield two corners.

There are two simple formulae for cutting setting triangles. The formula for side setting triangles is:
 
Finished size of block x 1.41, round up to the nearest 1/8" and add 1 1/4"
 

The formula for corner setting triangles is:
 
Finished size of block x 1.41 / 2 and add 1/8", then round up to the nearest 1/8"
 


This means I will need 14" squares for the side setting triangles and 9" squares for the corner triangles.

I used to struggle with this formula because it is based on decimal whereas quilt measurements are fractions. So what is an eighth of an inch when expressed as a decimal? The following list provides the measurements in 1/8"s and multiples thereof expressed as a decimal!

1/8" = 0.125
1/4" = 0.250
3/8" = 0.375
1/2" = 0.50
5/8" = 0.625
3/4" = 0.750
7/8" = 0.875
 
 
I keep a little chart pinned to my bulletin board. I include the 1/8" measurements along with a list of finished block sizes and the size of squares required for side & corner setting triangles.


I've finished the bag for my secret tote bag swap partner. Here are a few quick pictures of the finished bag.

Back of the bag with zippered pockets and beaded zipper pulls

Front of the bag
 
Side panel with appliquéd grasshopper and butterfly &
side pocket with appliquéd butterfly

Close-up of grasshopper
 
Other side with appliquéd butterflies on panel and pocket
 
 Inside the bag
 
I sure hope my partner likes her bag. She has left some comments on the Flickr page for this swap that would lead be to believe that she will be happy!

Until I post again, happy sewing!

5 comments:

  1. It's great to see all the lazy punk blocks laid out together - the finished quilt is going to look amazing! Your tote bag looks fantastic - I love the lime green zebra print and all the little bugs that you have added here and there :) Your partner is going to love it! Natalie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie. Hopefully today I'll get the Lazy Punk quilt top finished so I can show it tomorrow! I was pleased with the bag. The Noodlehead 241 tote bad pattern is great and very easy to make.

      Delete
  2. I have seen these steampunk blocks on other blogs, but yours is the most inspiring by far! I love the range of fabrics you are using. And the toile! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica. These blocks are so much fun to make and they are so fast and easy. It is great to combine fabrics that you might otherwise not have put together!

      Delete
  3. Someone is going to be thrilled with the lazy punk quilt. I am looking forward
    to see how you are going to quilt this special one.

    ReplyDelete