Friday, September 6, 2013

Owl at Night detail

I am going on a field trip today so it will be a short post (again)!

I had previously shown my quilt Owl at Night. The square blocks in the corners are reverse appliqué. The narrow strips at the top and bottom were stitched into the seam of the centre block and then stitched down by hand. The branch, leaves and owl are all raw edge appliqué.

Owl at Night, 2012

The red maple leaves were cut from this fabric.


The same fabric was used to make this quilt.


It was on my wall and the light was hitting the owl just right so that the owl's eyes almost glowed! Needless to say it didn't photograph as well as it looked in person but here it is anyway!


Once the quilt was finished I used my Sakura Micron Pigma pens to add shading to the feathers around the eyes and in the eyes themselves.


I used Steam-a-Seam II Light to make the owl off the quilt. He was then fused to the quilt top. All of the machine stitching was done after the quilt was layered so the top stitching not only anchors the applique but it is the quilting. I love this little guy...I love birds period and looking at him just makes me want to make some more bird themed wall hangings! If you have any questions about how I made the owl please feel free to ask. I am always more than willing to share my how-tos with you!

The theme for Quilting Gallery's Show and Tell is Leaves, Trees and Flowers so I entered my quilt "A Challenging Year". It depicts the life of a cherry tree through the seasons. This one is entirely hand appliqued and embroidered. And there's some beading too!  I can't wait to see what other people submit. You can vote for five of your favourites here! And while you are there take a look at the Vicki Welsh Hand Dyed Fabrics and leave a comment naming your favourite and you could win fabric! I love the Woodlands Gradient!

A Challenging Year
 
Time to go on my field trip so until I post again, happy sewing!

6 comments:

  1. As lovely as can be! As lovely as you are..and how dear and helpful you are to share your techniques. They not only help us to further appreciate your talents but to imagine the depths of your creative flow. I am always in such awe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele! You too are extremely talented and I am amazed at the work you do including the quilts for AAQI and the homemade wedding you organized for your daughter.

      Delete
  2. Your owl looks sooo terrific! And you got my vote at the Quilting Gallery. I adore your Challenging Year Quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lia! When the light hit the owl's eyes it really looked good. And thank you for the vote for A Challenging Year.

      Delete
  3. I really love the owl quilt and the challenging year quilt, your work is amazing to me, thanks for sharing.
    smjohns63 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh! this is amazing!!! wish I was able to get one for my flat!!!!!

    ReplyDelete