Saturday, November 22, 2014

Blogathon Canada and the instructions for my hexagon quilt 81 are HERE!


Welcome Blogathon Canada visitors! This is the final day of a week long blog hop organized by Sew Sisters Quilt Shop in Toronto, Ontario! To celebrate I am publishing the instructions to make my hexagon quilt 81 The Giant Monstrosity!

If you didn't get here by way of the Blogathon you really should visit the  Sew Sisters blog where you can enter to be able to win prizes and you will  find a complete list of host bloggers with links to other Canadian blogs like mine! Leave a comment on the Sew Sisters blog and the host blogger's sites to be entered in draws for wonderful prizes from Sew Sisters! The hosts for Ontario are Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts and Sandy from UpStairs Hobby Room. They'll be introducing you to some very talented quilters!

I've been promising to publish instructions for making my quilt 81 The Giant Monstrosity. I called it 81 because there are 81 hexagon rosettes and stars in the middle panel. The giant monstrosity part was added when I realized just how big it was going to be; it finished roughly 93" by 97"!



The quilt is surprising easy to make and it is very forgiving. I used English paper piecing to make the stars and hexagon rosettes. I fussy cut butterflies and appliqued them as a little extra embellishment. You can embellish as you see fit!




I thought you might like to see some of the fussy cut hexagons!





If you don't have enough fabric to cut six hexagons (or diamonds for the stars) just fussy cut three and use a complementary print for the other three! You can see some examples of this in the following picture.

I used scraps to make the baskets and fill them with flowers. Each basket is the same basic shape but the flowers and leaves are different in each one! I had a bit of pansy fabric in my stash so I cut some out and appliqued them. It is a great place to use some of those pretty florals that you don't know what to do with!



Once the quilt top was together I made my quilt sandwich and machine quilted it on my domestic sewing machine. However because the quilt is constructed in sections I think it would be suited to a quilt as you go technique! I didn't include quilting instructions but I wrote about how I did it in several posts. If there is interest I would consider putting together a separate instruction sheet on the quilting. 


So for those of you who love hexagons, I hope you'll enjoy the instructions for making 81. If you do start making it I would love to hear from you! Even if you don 't make it I would love to hear from you! I reply to every comment. If you don't hear from me it means you are a "no reply" blogger and I have no way to contact you! 

Enough chit chat; here's what you've been waiting for!


You can also find the link under Patterns by Karen H. I put a great deal of time, effort and energy into my free patterns. Please do not sell or reproduce them without my written permission. However you are more than welcome to post a link to my blog http://www.faeriesandfibres.blogspot.ca so that others can access this pattern and my other free patterns. 

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

40 comments:

  1. I love this quilt of yours. I've admired it in the past. I am currently starting something with hexagons and love making them, though they do take awhile.

    Amazing to think that you quilted this on your machine. I either hand quilt or tie quilts and reserve machine quilting for pillows and small projects. I won that Melody machine at the blogger quilt festival ( not sure when it's coming, though ) and have thought that it would be nice, since I was getting a good machine, to try more machine quilting....quilt as you go would be a great solution! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some amazing work Karen! It has been sew nice to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pronounce you the Queen Of Fussy Cut Hexies! They are stunning like your quilt! Great job on the quilting also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Moly wow you are so generous with your knowledge to us all. It must have taken you hours to write up the fabulous instructions. Thank you I know if I ever get my hexagon done there will always be another quilt for me to ponder. 😄
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! A lot of work was required to make this quilt. And patience, too! I love the change of the quilting design you've made at the diamond border. The quilting itself created a border. That's a quilt one could look at for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this quilt…will have to start on one of my own soon…enjoying this blogathon and your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have just knocked my socks off! WoW!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow is all I can say. I would never attempt this. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful design! I don't have so many fabrics in my stash to do the amazing fussy cutting you have done, but I hope to take a stab at it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilt. Thank you so much for you generosity in sharing it with us. I have saved the directions in PDF; and will work hard to finish some Ufo's to start on it soon. I quickly read over your directions and they are so clear and organized.
    Everyone that sees my Soupçon top loves it; and I always send them to your blog. Now, I am sure it will be the same with 81. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is amazing and you are very generous to share your pattern with us all . Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is amazing. I have been following its evolution and I am amazed each time I see it. Thanks for the PDF.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Karen, you are so generous to share this fabulous pattern. I have saved the directions and it is on my bucket list. I love this quilt. I think it will be next after Stonefields.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! This is a very inspiring quilt, thank you for sharing the details!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! Your quilt is simply amazing. I found your blog through the hop and am a now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for all your work and very kind generosity. It must have taken you so long to write the pattern. You are more than kind! A fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is beautiful- so intricate and detailed. Thanks for sharing your fabulous quilt and the instructions too.
    Regards from Alberta,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very generous of you to provide the pattern - looks very thorough as is all your work! If I hadn't already made a version of this quilt I'd be leaping in there - such fun to make - especially all the baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is stunning. I am particularly pleased with the suggestion to use three pieces the same with three complementary pieces. Now why couldn't I have thought of that?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the pattern. You do such beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the details of the fussy cut hexagons.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an impressive quilt - so much work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tarda - You are a no reply blogger so I wasn't able to sent you a personal note of thanks!

      Delete
  23. Holy cow! Your quilt is amazing. And absolutely gorgeous! I am visiting from Alberta today on the Blogathon Canada blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for the pattern for this lovely quilt. Such a lot of work you put into preparing it. I will be making it here in rural Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara - sorry I couldn't send you an email but you are a no reply blogger. I am so pleased to know that you will be making the quilt. If you have any questions or need help feel free to contact me!

      Delete
  25. Wow, you did an amazing job fussy cutting those hexagons, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow! That is truly a labour of love! Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Greetings from Bismarck ND USA on the Canadian Blog Hop. Wow!!! That's quite a quilt. Very impressive. Making hexis is on my list to start this winter but it'll be awhile before I'm ready to tackle this one. Any advice to get started?

    ReplyDelete
  28. You did a great job on these instructions, Karen. I hope you will get some photos of quilts you have inspired, down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to put out the instructions for this awesome quilt. This will be my first project in the coming new year. Now to gather what I need to make this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful quilt. Thank you for generously sharing your work with us!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much for the pattern Karen! I do love this and have lots of scraps!!! and I am becoming more and more addicted to hexagons too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a gorgeous quilt!! Congrats! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my gosh - I just love those baskets! And the diamond border. I could go on and on. Thanks so much for posting the pattern - I'll have to take a peek and see if there is one small corner of this that I can fit into my TO DO list. Just an absolute work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my word ..... many thanks Hexie Queen for giving us this pattern!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. A funny name for a beautiful quilt! Gorgeous hexagons - love your fussy cutting! I so admire your quilting of it too Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous quilt. And such organized scraps are an inspiration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete