Thursday, November 20, 2014

It's all in the details

Now that all 32 pieced blocks for the Gardens of a King quilt are completed each needs to be reverse appliqued to the background fabric. That's a job that goes quickly so it was time that I moved on  to the centre block. This is the block from Missie's quilt and it is worked in wool applique. I really liked the darker centre. She told me she used a plaid fabric and it just worked out that the darker portion was in the centre.


I don't do wool applique so I went back to my stash to pull cotton fabrics. These are the fabrics that were eventually used. What isn't show in this selection is the rusty brown that I will use for the shark tooth borders.

My first choice was the gold fabric that is second from the top. Love the softness of the colour with the little pops of rosy caramel. My plan was to use it for the elliptical shapes and to leave the inside empty so that the background fabric showed through but it was boring and very drab. I filled them in with the fabric at the bottom of the picture; I fussy cut the shapes so that they would match. I thought there would four identical prints in the fat quarter but there weren't. I was able to cut two pairs of identical motifs and that worked just fine. The two robin's egg blues in the middle of the picture had already be used in the pieced blocks so I decided to repeat them and they became the four fleur de lis shapes. It was looking nice but still a little on the boring side so I fussy cut a circle from the top fabric and appliqued it dead nut centre! Much better! This is what the block looked like at that point.


I adore that print in the centre; it is one of my favorite fabrics and I think it is timeless and dramatic! Trouble is that I thought the block was still looking like it was looking for a little something something to finish it off. I decided to cut some of the circles from the gold fabric and applique them to the base of each fleur de lis. This is a close-up of what I did! It is just a little detail but it was the perfect finishing touch! You might be able to see that there are some basting threads inside the elliptical shapes. I have been thinking about embroidering a thin, rich brown line around the inner edges but have decided against it (for now)!


This is the finished block! The four little circles took almost no time to prepare and applique but I think that they have a big impact on the look of the block. You only have to add one or two little details to personalize a quilt and make it even more beautiful!


Have you been visiting and discovering blogs that are new to you through Sew Sisters Quilt Shop's Blogathon Canada? Yesterday we were introduced to Albertan bloggers and today it is Saskatchewan and Manitoba! Friday it is off to Quebec and the Territories. Saturday it is Ontario. I'll be one of the Ontario bloggers and to celebrate I'll be publishing my instructions for making 81 The Giant Monstrosity! I am so eager to hear what you think of it!

Until I post again, have fun discovering Canadian blogs and when you aren't doing that, happy sewing!
Karen H

14 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the instructions for 81....it will probably have to wait till the new year, but I'll have your instructions which will be fabulous as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous center block Karen. I really love your colors and look forward to seeing the entire quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen! Your center block has turned out fantastically. I am happy that you are happy with it. Always a great feeling! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your applique block, Karen. The printed cottons really give it an extra dimension. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - I really love the fabrics for your center block! NICE :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a lovely block with those beautiful fabric-choice.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely central block, and those extra dots finish it of so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How on earth you 'saw' that wonderful patterning, for this block, from those fabrics is beyond me, you have an amazing ability to see a fussy cutting possibility.
    this block must surely be the piece de doobry!
    Who needs wool! lol
    Am having fun sauntering around Canada, there's a great deal of talent over there to enjoy seeing. I should have emigrated years ago and then I too might have been blessed with some !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Karen. Your center block is gorgeous! You definitely have an eye for design. It amazes me how those little circles made a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this block - it's gorgeous - and the little pop of fussy cutting in the centre is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So gorgeous! I can't wait for your instructions on 81. It is a lovely quilt and I would love to make it. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I so like your center block. What fab fussy cutting. So excited about 81!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning Block Miss Karen! I can't wait to make my own version in all cotton! So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete