Friday, November 21, 2014

Hungarian Braided Chain Stitch and a Soupcon quilt

My first quilt along (QAL) was called Soupcon, a French word that means "a little bit". I called it Soupcon because I used a variety of techniques that I like to use but they were used sparingly so it was a chance to introduce readers to these techniques without having to commit to a large quilt. It was a six part QAL and you will find all of the pattern installments under the tab Quilt Alongs by Karen H. I've recently heard from several of you that you are still working on your quilts. Keep posting pictures on the Flickr Soupcon QAL page! Here is the most recent picture from Clare!

Soup Is On 003 by Clare

What a stunner it is! She designed her own cornerstone blocks and decided to leave the red border empty. She will use it to showcase her hand quilting. I've seen Clare's work and she is an exceptionally talented quilter so I know that the finished quilt is going to be amazing!

Don't forget that my current QAL is Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt Along is still running. You will find links to all of the patterns under the tab Quilt Alongs by Karen H. The next block pattern will be published on November 28th!

I'm still working on testing the Gardens of a King quilt pattern for Missie of Traditional Primitives. There are appliques in the border and some of the stems are just far too tiny so I decided to embroider them with a Hungarian braided chain stitch. I found this online demonstration and after watching it got started on the stems.


Initially it was slow going but once I got my brain wrapped around the technique it was fairly easy. The basis is the chain stitch but you are in effect stitching another chain stitch on top and to do that you need to weave your needle under the previous stitch. A pointy needle can split threads and that causes problems. I saw a handy tip on Quilting Arts this week....rather than taking the point of the needle under the stitch, use the eye of the needle. I tried it and it worked like a charm!

This is my first attempt at the Hungarian braided chain stitch. I've got more fruit with stems to be embroidered and this stitch is perfect! It adds a little bit of texture and dimension.


There will be an oval frame around each fruit or floral applique. I made one to see how it will finish the block and I am really pleased with it!I haven't appliqued it to the block. I want to get all of the embroideries done first!


The Sew Sisters Quilt Shop's Blogathon Canada continues and today we are off to Quebec and the Territories. Be sure to visit the Blogathon and the host bloggers where you can enter to win great prizes. It is easy....all you have to do is leave a comment!

Tomorrow I'll publish my pattern for 81 The Giant Monstrosity so until then happy sewing!
Karen H

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love it! Such a pretty stitch for those teeny tiny stems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare's Soupcon is gorgeous - the red and gold combination sure is stunning! Your stems really are a feature with the braided chain stitch and I love the frame for your applique block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your stitching. I've not seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stems are perfect - just the right weight and texture - I must keep this stitch in mind! thanks for the link to the video :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Soupçon is stunning - very bold and beautiful. And I so love that fruit block you're making - another beauty! Was the stitch from Mary Covel site? She does a great job of showing us how to do new stitches. Thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that finished applique block, on its own, is beautiful, can't wait for the whole quilt , I need to remember that Braided chain stitch. Some friends and i were trying to figure this out , just the other day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect stitch for an appliqué version vs the wool version I designed. I love that you are making the oval one color! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete