Sunday, August 2, 2015

Pincushions galore

I love making and collecting pincushions of all descriptions because a quilt maker can never have too many pincushions. Everywhere I like to sit and sew you will find a pincushion. Some, like my Tiny World Make-Do Pincushions, are more elaborate. I do use them but I also have made myself a collection of them that I keep them in my bookcase. In the following picture the canoe, teepee and trees are my own creation but the starting point for was Mimi Kirchner's pattern. I have a whole gallery of tiny world pincushions which you can see here.

Teepee at M'Chigeeng by Karen H

Today I thought I would share some more pincushions, two of which I made very recently.


The blue pincushion in the upper right is reversible. I've written a pattern and it will be published in the September/October 2015 issue of Hexie Love magazine. The magazine is devoted entirely to hexagon projects and there are all sorts of patterns, articles and ideas inside each cover. The magazine is published by Julia Wood of The Hexie Blog. It is priced at $5.99 USD per issue. You can't beat that price!

This is the reverse side of the pincushion. I've made a few of these pincushions and they are great fun!


The second pincushion is a prototype. I just finished it this morning and plan on making another but I'm going to try to sew it a little differently from the first to see if the results are better.


The third is a combination pincushion/needlecase. This is my own design. I've made quite a few of these over the years. I've never written up a pattern but may do so in the future. The top is pretty and it also serves as a pincushion.


Needles can be tucked away safely inside!


I hope you've enjoyed my little show of pincushions. I love each and every one of them.

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H


23 comments:

  1. I love pincushions, and yours are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love pincushions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um.... Yes please on the pattern Karen! When you have time of course, which is probably never Ha! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pincushions Karen. I too have a collection, made over the last 20 years. I was in a Christmas swap for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that teepee! Your tiny worlds are charming. Love the one in my space from the Yorkshire Rose show:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore pincushions too and have a small display which I change occasionally. Thanks for the heads up on the hexie magazine. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pincushions Karen ! It's the perfect present for a quilter friend !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Karen,
    what a cute little bunch of pincushions. Wonderful ideas.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are great Karen. I'll have to get that magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second Kel - please do a pattern. Perfect to hold needles as well - how clever of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on it! Sorry I couldn't email you directly but you are a no reply blogger. :-(

      Delete
  11. They're all so cute. I'd love a pattern for the pincushion/needle keep, so I hope you get around to making a pattern for it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving your hexie pinchushions those would be fun to use while sewing up hexies-thanks for the link to the hexie blog too

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also love collecting pincushions, but have only made a few myself. I made the little chicken ones years ago and gave as gifts to my sewing buddies. That was the last time. Now I buy from others or get gifted ones from friends. Yours are so special and beautiful. I don't have any hexie ones in my collection. May have to remedy that one day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the pincushions / needlecase. Nice colours and motief. I don't have a collection, but when I see these nice things ..... Groetjes, Dientje

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so many pincushions and needle cases, but it seems like there is always room for another one! I love your fussy cut hexies on the needle book--very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen, these are so cute and yes, I'd love a version of them all, but now, I have other fun projects to do, so love them but I'm leaving em! Hugs! Thanks for the link to Hexie Love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So darling! I especially like the last one - how clever is that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love the idea of a needle case included! You are right you can never have too many!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Karen

    Wonderful, i like it

    Creative regards Marika

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely collection of pincushions, all very different.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Karen,
    you've made such wonderful pincushions. I like them all, but the best is the last one which is a needlecase, too. Great idea!
    Greetings from Germany
    Marle

    ReplyDelete