Monday, December 9, 2013

Snow and hardcover needle books!


It snowed during the night so the birds are in the feeders munching on the seeds! What falls on the ground is being picked up by chubby little guys like this one!

I've been busy working on my hardcover needle books which are based upon a free pattern by The Studiolo.  These are going to be gifts for my sewing friends!


I've got a few more needle books to finish (I've got lots of sewing friends....lucky me)! These hardcover needle books are so easy to make. In a nutshell you stitch a rectangle which is left open along one short end. You slide in a small piece of cardboard for the cover and on the inside you place your felt for the needle holder. The instructions then have you stitch the spine of the book, slide in the cardboard for the back cover and then hand stitch the opening closed. I had difficulty making sure the spine was stitched in the centre so what I did was slide in both pieces of cardboard and then hand stitch the opening closed. I then folded the book in half marking the spine with a pin at the top and bottom and stitched the spine on the machine. It worked like a charm and once the spine was stitched the book was done!

I love these two! Blue with a bit of orange or coral is a great colour combination. Something to keep in mind when making a quilt!


And variegated embroidery floss makes the little leaf look much more interesting. I used variegated floss for the buttonhole stitch, the French knots and the running stitch.


Making little pieces like this is a great way to learn about colour and what works with what!

If you visit The Studiolo be sure to check out her free pattern for a Ginormous Quilter's Tote. It is a beauty and would make a lovely gift for a quilting friend! I am tempted to make one for me to take to workshops!


Before I go I thought I would finally introduce you to another of my little friends who was waiting for the snow before visiting! Penguins live together in large colonies so I think I should make a few more to keep this one company!


Now that's a happy penguin face!


Until I post again, happy sewing!

8 comments:

  1. Oh these are fabulous needle books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is so fun and easy and the books make a great gift even for non quilters. A friend saw my post and said she could use one because she is forever losing her needles for sewing on buttons. She is now the proud owner of her own needle gbook!

      Delete
  2. You have been busy - love that penguin, so cute.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working my fingers to the bone but having a blast doing it! And I do love the little critter!

      Delete
  3. Great needle books. I'll will check out that site- and the tote looks fabulous. I love your little penguin too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, thanks and thanks! I think the tote would be absolutely perfect to take to workshops and the instructions are so clear. I think it would be a quick project to stitch!

      Delete
  4. I love your penquin-just so sweet. and your needlebooks are lovely-lucky sewing ladies, enjoy your week Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! The needle books were delivered (most of them) and they were a hit! Now I want to make a few more!

      Delete