Good news - my computer problems are slowly getting worked out! Camera software was successfully installed so that's one problem resolved! I still have to move the dongel for my keyboard and mouse so that they function better and I'm learning Windows 8 through trial and error!
Missie of Traditional Primitives has given me permission to publish a picture of her finished Gardens of a King quilt on my blog. Hers is a lighter, brighter interpretation of the King George III coverlet (maker unknown). The original quilt is dated 1803-1805 and is made with many printed cottons.It resides at the Victoria & Albert Museum in England. The centre medallion depicts King George III reviewing volunteer troops in Hyde park in 1799. The quilt is an amazing historical document because it depicts events national (Britain) and international but it is also an art object. The handwork and detail is absolutely incredible!
This is Missie's interpretation of the original. It is a smaller quilt (it finishes just over 63") but there is no reason why it couldn't be made larger! She tells me that her pattern will be available for sale soon. I love the warm caramel colours of this quilt and I am partial to scrap quilts so this one speaks to me!
Missie's quilt features an applique border made with an assortment of light fabrics and this gives it a airy appearance. But I keep looking at the original and love the weight of the dark border so I'm torn....shall I go dark or light? In the picture below the fabric on the left looks grey but it is a warm beige and it is the fabric that will frame each of the pieced blocks in my quilt. I love the weight and pattern of the green print I've pulled from my stash and the toasty beige below it also has great appeal. I think I'll make all the pieced blocks and stitch the centre panel and saw tooth border together before I decide on the border fabric for the fruit and flower appliques.
Missie combined the pieced blocks from the original quilt with fruit and flower appliques in the outer border to represent the King's garden. Her pattern will call for appliques that are worked in wool. Oh so pretty!
I don't have access to shops that sell wool but more importantly I have a good stash of fabrics so I'm making my blocks with cotton! This is my version of Missie's pears made using the back basting applique method. The pattern works up equally well with cotton however I expect it is quicker with wool.
This is Missie's chamomile block done with wool applique. I love how wool allows you to achieve such lovely curvy edges. That's a huge challenge for me whether I do needle turn applique or back basting applique.
So I had a scrap of fabric with one pretty flower that has been hanging around for yonks. It was screaming to be used and I figured this was the right time and place! While I love the flower I was not happy with the leaf in the middle. It is too dark. If I can live with something that is off I live with it and if I can't I fix it. I knew this dark leaf was something that would bother me so fix it I must!
This is the corrected block with the new leaf. Still hot perfect but it is better and I can live with it!
My pattern for 81 The Giant Monstrosity is almost ready and I'm thinking that I'll publish it on November 22 to celebrate Blogathon Canada where Canadian Quilters Connect! This event has been organized by Sew Sisters quilt shop. They've got a great selection of fabrics and a huge room full of bolts of clearance fabrics! If you are a Canadian blogger consider joining in. A host blogger in your province will add you to her blog list! And if you aren't a blogger you still can join in the fun and can enter draws for fabulous prizes!
Speaking of patterns I'll be publishing Block 16 of my Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt Along pattern this Friday! There are only three full blocks and two partial blocks to go! So exciting!
Until I post again, happy sewing!
What a gorgeous project!ReplyDelete
I love the appliquéd block with the fruit! This is such a fun quilt. Your work is stunning as always! I have been playing a bit of catch-up on the value proposition quilt and really enjoying it. I am nearly done with my "made fabric" block. It looks great!ReplyDelete
Wow! so beautiful, Karen. Another two quilts to add to my wish list. I especially like the last flower - so dimensional!ReplyDelete
Beautiful post - very inspiring. I didn't realise that Missy had used wools - even more tempting...!ReplyDelete
Missies interpretation is beautiful!! I've seen the King George Coverlet in real life, the detail is amazing, you could look at it forever and always find new things.ReplyDelete
Your applique blocks are wonderful , as were your pieced ones! It is an amazing quilt and a lovely pattern. Can't wait to see your version finished too :)ReplyDelete
Great post! Of course, you already know how much I love your work.ReplyDelete
An amazing quilt -- I could gaze at it for a long time but more applique than I'm inclined to attempt at this point.ReplyDelete
What a fabulous project!ReplyDelete
I think Missies quilt design is less fussy and more striking than the original although the skill and design in the original is remarkable considering when it was made.ReplyDelete
I bet you've enjoyed the pattern testing yourself, I know you love a challenge lol
Oh and spot on with that block and the lighter leaf!ReplyDelete
Love the flower especially on it, the fabrics perfect for it.
Once again, I say I love your cotton versions! They are so beautiful!ReplyDelete