Monday, April 8, 2013

Applique tools I like to use



This is a sneak peak of an appliqued quilt border I am working on. I just love the striped fabric from French General's La Petitie Ecole for Moda! I like doing applique because it is very portable and I can use lots of different techniques. Also I can fussy bits of fabric to make the applique look more detailed and complex. There are loads of butterflies on this one and they are all done using a broderie perse technique.

There are some tools that I would not be without because they make the job so much easier. My three favourites are Roxanne Glue-Baste It, Roxanne applique needles and applique pins.


I believe the packaing has changed for the Roxanne Glue-Baste It. It is about $9 for a 2 oz. bottle but it lasts a really long time! Use the little needle top to apply tiny dots of glue 1/4 to 1/2" apart. It holds the applique pieces in place indefinitely. This means you can prepare all of your pieces, glue them in position and then applique at your leisure - the project is portable and there are no pins or basting thread to deal with. The little applique pins are 1/2" from end to tip (you can see a large pin in the picture to give you an idea of size). They are great for stems because I can reposition them as I work. The Roxanne applique needles come in a 50 pack for about $8. They have a gentle taper and a long, large eye making threading easier. I even like to use them for embroidery!

There are a lot of tools on the market that don't really make much of a difference but in my opinion these tools really deliver and are well worth the investment!

Thanks for dropping by for a visit. Until I post again, happy sewing!



6 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! Thanks a lot for your comment on my snail blog! I just had to se "There’s a snail in Grandma’s flower garden". It is so, so beautiful and sewn with such love. I could never in my life make such a beautiful quilt - it is amazing! Thanks for telling me about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope people will visit your blog http://sforsnail.blogspot.ca/. There are so many lovely and interesting snail-ish things to see!

      Delete
  2. Love that border! I'm having a wonderful time discovering your blog - and so thrilled to see this border. I have made a repro quilt with similar baskets - and loved the folksie applique. I also have used that glue and it is very handy for just this sort of work - where a tiny drop is such a useful anchor. Am looking forward to seeing your progress with this one!
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't turned my hand to appliqué yet but I just LOVE what you are doing with this border. It would make a great quilt in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I was always intimidated by applique because there are some really talented people in my Guild. I finally just decided to dive in an do my own thing. I have one rule: it has to give me pleasure! This border has been so much fun and I've learned a great deal in doing it. The main thing I learned is "just do it"! If it doesn't work out it is just a bit of fabric!!!

      Delete