Saturday, April 20, 2013

Flora and Fauna, Parts of the Garden - the reveal!

I hope you enjoyed the close-up shots of my quilt “Flora and Fauna, Parts of the Garden”. I did it this way because there is so much to see in the quilt and one picture of the whole just wouldn’t allow you to see the many details. Revealing the quilt in this way was also a journey of discovery for me ; I completely forgot that I embroidered one lonely snail in the garden! I’d been photographing the quilt for a week and only discovered the snail yesterday! All of the applique work was needle turn and many of the leaves were fussy cut from one of the six fabrics that I added to the three challenge fabrics. Did you figure out what the quilt might look like? Yes? No? Well here we go – but I can’t resist one more tease so I’ll start from the centre of the quilt and work my way out! Drum roll please…………
 
The centre.....

and a little further out....
 

and a little further out.......
 

Flora and Fauna, Parts of the Garden, 2008   28 ½” X 28 ½”

And there you have it – the finished quilt! I hope you enjoyed the picture I posted this week. I would love to hear what you thing so feel free to comment!
 
 
 
If you would like to try something similar here is my advice. Enjoy the creative process and the rhythm of handwork and focus on the thing you are doing at that moment. If you are appliqueing a leaf, focus on that, not the other 20 that have to be stitched. And it bears repeating, enjoy the process every stitch of the way! Oh, and it isn't a race so make it in your own time!

The Quilting Gallery Show and Tell quilts theme this weekend is squares and rectangles. Pop on over and vote for your favourite before Monday at 6:00pm (EDT)! I am a guest judge so I’ll be casting my votes as well. Next week’s Show and Tell theme is wall hangings and the following week is applique. I think will enter quilts in both. When I make my decision about which quilts to enter I’ll let you know and I’ll post some pictures! 

Tomorrow I will have a new tutorial for you so be sure to come back for a visit! Until I post again, happy sewing!

8 comments:

  1. What a delightful feast for my eyes ... and soul. I can hardly even imagine what it would be like to see the real quilt. Now to go back and read how it was created. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Nellie! I really appreciate you taking the time to read my blog!

      Delete
  2. Gracias por tu visita, me has dado la oportunidad de conocer tus maravillosos trabajos.

    saludos

    ana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just amazing! I showed the teaser pictures to my mum and she said she loved all the attention you paid to all the tiny details. I personally think the ants are so cute!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievably amazing! Wow wow wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a wonderful feast for my eyes!!! I found you via Nellies link and I am SO GLAD I did! There is such zen in stitching by hand and letting it come to be in its own time. This is so very beautiful! Now I too will go read your earlier posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! So whimsical yet so much attention to detail. Love, love, love your fabric choices & the addition of bumbles, dragonflies, & other little bugs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So stunning and you just feel like you're in the garden so nice to look at this is amazing!!!!! http://somewhereinstitches.blogspot.com
    Debbie Kelly

    ReplyDelete