Sunday, April 7, 2013

Quick and easy flying geese tutorial and Jack Bush


My first tutorial is now up! I’m sure that there are loads of different ways to make flying geese but this is my favourite because it makes four geese at one go and there is no wasted fabric. As you may have gathered from my nine patch blog I hate throwing out even the little pieces. If you haven’t tried this method give it a go and be sure to let me know what you think.
 
Flying geese can be used in so many interesting ways. Try using them as a border for a medallion quilt. They can also be used to make Ohio star blocks and Dutchman’s puzzle.
Ohio Star (4")

Dutchman's Puzzle


Used as a border


Yesterday was busy and productive. I finished quilting two pieces. I quilted one of my Mom’s African pieces. She will bind it with a facing and then she’ll embellish it with beads and assorted findings. I’ll post some pictures of her work in the near future. My piece is titled “Jack” and all that I need to do now is to block, trim and bind the quilt with a facing. The quilt measures 15 ½ x 17”. It is homage to Jack Bush, a Canadian abstract painter. His painting Striped Column was featured on a postage stamp in 1964 and it was my inspiration for this quilt. His work is striking in its simplicity. This painting was also inspiration for a block of the month pattern I did about a year ago. Let me know if you would like the pattern posted - it is super easy and makes great use of scraps and solids!
 
Jack
 
The border fabric is a lovely hand-dyed from Elaine Quehl.  Elaine is a published Canadian artist, teacher and dyer.
 
Until I blog again, happy sewing!

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Karen,
    Barbara sent me this blog post ... I love "Jack", and love how you used my hand-dyed fabric! Thanks for mentioning it.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete