Sunday, April 14, 2013

Green Beans Several Ways, pinning and crusty bread

If you’ve been following my blog you will see that my quilt/fibre art interests are varied. I love everything from the very traditional to the ultra-modern. The “liberated” techniques taught by the likes of Gwen Marston, Jean Wells and Rayna Gillman are particularly interesting because they present a new set of challenges. In many respects they are the same challenges that my pioneering grandparents faced; they had to make do with what they had whether it was tools or raw materials. Setting aside the rotary cutter in favour of scissors and make do with the fabric (especially scraps) that you have on hand is a challenge but one can learn a great deal about colour, block construction, pressing, creativity, innovative thinking and problem solving! There is no pattern so you think, plan and sew as you go. Once you have a group of “blocks” you have to think about how they will fit and how you will pull everything together into a unified quilt. The pieces don’t have to be small. Work with what you have and what is comfortable. The results can be spectacular – look no further than the Gee’s Bend quilts. 
 
I call this quilt “Green Beans Several Ways”. It measures 26" x 31". My goal was to use my solid greens interspersed with bits and pieces of leftovers. I made quite a few little blocks, added to them, chopped them up smaller when they weren’t what I had in mind and moved them around. I am very pleased with the final result. I learned a great deal about putting together odd shapes and also the quilting of this type of quilt. It isn’t perfect and I’m just fine with that – I got some much enjoyment from the making.






I wanted to share another tip with you. I like pinning when I sew. It’s how I learned to sew as a child and it is something that has stuck with me. Do you find that when sewing two pieces together one of the pieces has shifted when you get to the end so that they aren’t even? This problem can be reduced if not eliminated by placing a pin perpendicular to the seam at the end of the fabric and one pin parallel to the seam you are about to sew. It is a simple thing but it makes a difference. Give it a go and see if you don’t agree that it works a treat!


Finally if you like homemade bread try this recipe from a blog titled Simply So Good. No kneading is required and the bread does not have that yeasty taste that homemade breads tend to have. I’ve made the bread several times and each time I add different ingredients. It is super easy and really tasty with a bowl of soup or stew!
 
Don't forget to visit Quilting Gallery's Show and Tell where you can vote for your favourite hexagon quilt. Mine is "There's a Snail in Grandma's Flower Garden". Voting closes on Monday at 6:00 pm EST.
 
Until I post again, happy sewing! 

1 comment:

  1. I love your liberated quilts too Karen! Very cool. And once again, thanks for mentioning my fabric :-) in an additional post.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete