Friday, April 26, 2013

Flying Fish School and a cute little pincushion!

I recently found this little pincushion in an antique shop. I hadn’t planned on buying anything but the minute I clapped my eyes on this one my resolve went out the window; the pincushion came home with me. There are no marks on the bottom so I have no idea where it was made (to me it looks Scandinavian) or how old it might be. But all this matters not – it is just so darned cute and I love it to bits!


It is Show and Tell at Quilting Gallery and once again I’ve submitted a photo of a quilt. The theme this week is wall hangings. I’ve entered Flying Fish School. The voting will open sometime Friday morning and it closes on Monday at 6:00pm EDT. You will be able to see all of the wall hangings and vote for your favourites here.

Flying Fish School, 28 ½” x 28 ½”

Flying Fish School was another challenge quilt. There were three Northcott fabrics and I was allowed to add five additional fabrics. The five I added were white for the waves, blue for the sky and three darker blues for the water in the centre. The Northcott challenge fabrics were On Golden Pond (buttery background with goldfish), a gradient Halloween orange and a small orange/coral/purple print. I used only the challenge fabrics to make the fish and the “birds”. Take a close look….the bodies of all of the birds are made of goldfish hence the name…flying fish! The little aquarium in the centre is loaded with fish fry that will one day grow up to dip and dive in the waves like the others! And now for a few close-ups!



 






 
Until I post again, happy sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment