The making of the zigzag border of Love Entwined was going gangbusters! I decided to English paper piece the zigzags. I cut a huge stack of fabric and basted away for a couple of evenings. Look at the lovely stack of parallelograms that were completed.
I paired them up so I could start stitching them together.
In no time at all I had a stack of pairs sewn together so I stitched nine pairs together to see how they would look on my quilt. ARGHHH! The parallelograms are each just a little to large which means I've got to do some reverse sewing. ARGHHHH! I took apart the strip, shaved a whisker of paper off each paper. I then basted them for the second time and stitched them together for the second (and last) time. I tested once again and the strip is now a perfect fit.
As you can see it will be a scrappy border alternating light and darker prints.
So there you have it! I measured once and had to cut twice! So now I have hundreds of parallelograms to be re-engineered! I have said more than once that I learn something from every quilt I make. What I've learned from LE is that I should have made a test strip before diving in so I could make any necessary adjustments at the beginning. The good news is that there will be another zigzag border so the lesson will be put to good use!
Until I post again, happy reverse sewing!
This was a lesson i learned almost at the end of my Dear Jane blocks :-( The papers and fabric all add bulk to the accurately cut templates and so they must be shaved to compensate. I LOVE how your LE quilt is evolving,ReplyDelete