Friday, October 10, 2014

Work, work, work!

I've completed two more blocks in Traditional Primitives Gardens of a King pattern by Missie Carpenter. The pattern is not yet available but I will let you know when it is!

 I was nervous about these blocks because of the elliptical shape in the centre but as it turned out it came together relatively easily! Most of the fabrics in this block are leftover bits from other projects or scraps that I picked up on the freebie table at the monthly Guild meetings. This block needs a good press with a hot iron and a little spray starch.


I love the colours in this one! Once again I've used leftovers from other projects. The print in the elliptical section in the middle was the trimmings from the backing of one of my Mom's African quilts! It was about an inch wide and I was able to fussy cut some bits to add interest! I love the warm earthy tones in this block! I think I'll use this colour scheme in at least one more block! Both of these blocks were pieced using a variation on the English paper piecing method. Although they are small (6" across finished) the result is precision piecing with relatively little fuss! Along the way I've figured out a few little tricks that help me with the preparation of the patches so that the piecing is easy!


I've started working on the pattern for my quilt 81 - The Giant Monstrosity. I'll need another week or two to finish it off and once I do I'll let you know!  I do love this quilt and I was very surprised at my Guild meeting this week to find out that the quilt was awarded first place by viewers! It really was unexpected but I am very honoured to know that people liked and enjoyed my work!

81 - The Giant Monstrosity by Karen H 2014

And I'm not the only winner! Mom received a third place ribbon for her Montage of African Quilts in the small quilt category! Way to go Mummsie!

Anne H with her Montage of African Quilts

That's it for today. I'm off on a field trip to a quilt shop with some friends. Hopefully I'll find a treasure or two to add to my stash! Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

10 comments:

  1. I'm loving the Gardens of a King blocks and can't wait for the pattern. Are the circle and ring pieced or do the blocks combine piecing and appliqué? Congrats on 81 and to your mom. Gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, ladies, on your ribbons - well deserved! Those GofK blocks are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Look at that quilt!!! It's amazing!
    And love your mum's African Quilts - remember one of them from the Bargain Lover's Club win! :)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your small block - looking forward to seeing the pattern, too. Congratulations to you and your Mum - you both do amazing work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulation to the first place! You deserv it! It is an amazing quilt. I also like those tiny little "Garden of King"-Blocks.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is such a beautiful quilt Karen - so glad you won viewers choice! and I love these little round blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow- how awesome for both of you! Of course I am not surprised one bit. You are both so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on you and Mom you are both deserving of your ribbons. I am not surprised both of you are amazing quilters.
    Hugs Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many congratulations to you both, so well deserved by both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to you and your mom! Both well deserved.
    Great job on your blocks. I really like the fall colored one.

    ReplyDelete