Sunday, August 11, 2013

Lazy Girl Quilt block assembly and another Tiny World Make Do Pincushion

I had a pair of little gold demi tasses and I wanted to use them to make Tiny World Make-Do Pincushions. They are inspired by a pattern by Mimi Kirchner. I've already showed the first pincushion and now here is the second one! I made my own pattern for a house that is a slightly different shape - it is a little wider. So here it number two! I don't know if I mentioned this before but the trees are made with pins so I can move them around to do some landscaping if I feel like it!

And here are the two of them together!

Now back to Lazy Girl! I've cut the background squares for my Lazy Girl quilt and they measure 10 1/2"  so they'll finish at 10". Each will have an arc appliqued to it and four arcs made a circle so the circle block will measure 20" square finished.

I drafted my pattern so that the arcs will be 1/2" away from the seam lines. So to the 1/2" I add the 1/4" seam allowance to that I will need to position the arc 3/4" from the edges on each square. I made marks at the 3/4" point on each background fabric. I've place flower head pins so you can see the placement of the marks.

The next step was to trim the excess fabric from the arc. I left the 1/4" seam allowance beyond the line I drew when I trace the template. And one good press before pinning them to the background.

The next step was to place my arc so that the edges lined up and the top of the arc hit the 3/4" mark. I pinned and then did the same at the opposite end of the arc. Notice that I use two pins, one parallel to the edge of the quilt (this one is important because it prevents shifting) and the other is parallel to the outer curve. I pretty much always do this when sewing patches of any sort and I find it is really good to do at the end of seams because shifting of fabric (where the top fabric ends up a little longer than the bottom fabric) is virtually eliminated as a result of the pin that is parallel to the end of the fabric (the pin with the white head in my photo).

 Then I pinned close to the edge outer curve of the arc.

I stitched the top edge with a small zigzag stitch. I used The Bottom Line thread in a neutral colour on top and regular cotton Gutermann cotton sewing thread in my bobbin.

I moved the pins to the inside curve of the arc and stitched it down. The basting stitches are then removed and one final press!

Four of these make a 20" block (finished)! My Lazy Girl quilt top will be three blocks wide and four blocks long. The quilt top will go together like nothing! Can't wait to quilt this one! I've already got some ideas about what I might do!

I'm off to an outdoor quilt show at Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto so I hope to be able to take lots of lovely pictures to share with you tomorrow! If you are in the area it would be a nice place to go. There will be over 160 quilts on display outdoors!

Until I post again, happy sewing!


  1. Replies
    1. I'm working on building my own tiny world of teacup pincushions! I've still got a way to go I think!