Monday, April 22, 2013

Another Challenge Quilt (and another series of teasers) & it’s tough to be a judge!

I like fabric challenges. They force me to use fabrics I wouldn’t normally use and there is usually a limit on the number of fabrics that can added. That forces me think of different ways of using and manipulating the fabrics. This challenge quilt is a perfect example of this. Over the next few days I'mg going to tease you with some sneak peaks of the quilt and then we'll have the big reveal!

The challenge kit included three Northcott fabrics, a gold tile print, an orange/red stripe and a royal blue print with yellow and white flowers.


Sometimes the wrong side of a fabric is usable. In Flora andFauna the bright turquoise in the centre was a lighter turquoise on the wrong side to I got some extra mileage out of it. However in this case none of the fabrics were usable on the wrong side. So if I couldn’t use the wrong side I would alter the colour with bleach. And it worked! This meant I had gone from three to six fabrics.

 
The rules allowed for five additional fabrics of my choosing. I bleached one of the five and that gave me a palette of twelve colours. Now that was something I could work with!  

So here is today's teaser! Can you guess what this might be???
 
  Want to see a little more? Well here it is!



Can you guess what it is? If not, you're going to kick yourself when you find out!!
 
The quilting on the nine patches and baskets is well underway and so far I am pleased with how it looks. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
 
As you may know this week I was a guest judge for Quilting Gallery’s Show and Tell. If you would like to cast your votes it isn’t too late. Voting closed on Monday at 6:00pm (EDT). You can vote here. It is so hard being a judge because there are so many beautiful, inventive and original quilts. Selecting my favourites from a small photograph is a real challenge. I’ve probably spent two hours pouring over the pictures, making notes and visiting the makers' blogs. I wish I could pick them all but I can’t so I’m off to make my choices!

I hope you’ll visit again tomorrow; I’ll post some more teasers for you. See if you can figure out what the quilt is going to look like!

Until I post again, happy sewing!

 Look at the ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah!

5 comments:

  1. Love your Ninepatch - the quilting is beautiful! Are you doing this on your domestic machine? - such a pretty quilt. Am looking forward to following your progress.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilda - Thanks for reading my blog and for leaving a comment! I am quilting it on my domestic machine (Janome 6500). It can be a real strugle getting a large quilt machine quilted but I've figured out some things that make the process more manageable for me. Tomorrow I will be writing a bit about what I do. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I know what works for me and that is what I will share!

      Delete
  2. I love, love, love what you do with nine-patches. The light and bright colors mixed in with all those neutrals plus your curvy quilting pattern gives a "light-hearted" feeling to this quilt. Wonderful!

    Your teasers look to be leaves floating in water. Can hardly wait to see more.

    I'm so glad to have discovered your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nellie - you are partially correct. There are leaves in the imagine! Tomorrow the teasers will likely give it away and if you can't imagine what the quilt looks like you will likely have a very good idea about the theme!

      I just love nine patches - they are like little jewels! I fall in love with each one!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to kick myself!!!

    ReplyDelete