Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Lost and Found

I love found things. As a child sparkly bits purchased at the white elephant table would send me into raptures! I still have some of the pieces that I purchased and although they aren't valuable they still give me pleasure. All my life I have loved found natural treasures like small shells, feathers, stones, seed pods, pebbles, rocks and leaves. As a child I would come home with pockets full of pebbles and handfuls of leaves from the poplar trees in the school yard. As an adult my desk at work was loaded with rocks and fossils I had collected. I find all of these little bits and bobs irresistable and to this day I still pick up little, lost treasures and save them on window ledges, bookcases and in my curio cabinets.



One of my favourite lost and found treasures is a felted wool pincushion filled with whiskers lost by my handsome ginger cats, Otis and Chops. Let me preface with this: I am not a crazy cat lady! The collection began unintentionally and quite accidentally. I was handquilting and found a lovely white whisker on my quilt. I just stuck it in the wool pincushion. The next whisker joined the first and collection grew from there! The ginger lads are now gone but I see the lost and found collection in the pincushion and it reminds me of the many wonderful years we had together.

So there you have it, my first curio post!

2 comments:

  1. I am not a crazy cat lady either but I also collect fallen whiskers from my cats. Most are all white but some have black/brown at the base from my now gone Maine Coon's. My collection is in an antique glass jar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a crazy cat lady either, but I am also a cat whisker collector, and also from Maine Coon cats, I store my collection in a little box made from cloves.

    ReplyDelete